Skip to catalysts
← All catalysts
Chart

ZYME result

After the event it went to +6.01% at its highest, and later to −10.98% at its lowest, against the close price before FDA approval.

The news wasPositive

Chart

The FDA approved Ziihera with chemotherapy, with or without tislelizumab, for first-line treatment of certain stomach and esophageal junction cancers. The approval triggers a $250 million milestone payment to Zymeworks from Jazz.

ZYME price from the signal through FDA approval, in the order it happened.
PriceDate and time31.0025.6128.7720:0009:0520:0013:3914:0014:3917:5420:0020 Aug24 Aug25 Aug30 AugAfter signalAfter FDA approval (25 Aug 2026, 14:00 UTC)Regular sessionPre-market / After-hoursClosing price

Recorded after the event and not edited since. Past moves are not a forecast of future ones.

ZYMEZymeworks Inc.
Positive

FDA decision on Ziihera first-line gastric cancer expansion could unlock $250 million for Zymeworks

Event passed
FDA and Clinical

Quick Trade Info

Upcoming catalystThe event that could move the share price.

The FDA target action date for Ziihera in first-line HER2-positive advanced gastroesophageal adenocarcinoma is August 25, 2026. The application covers Ziihera with chemotherapy, with or without tislelizumab. The FDA granted Priority Review.

Main stock affectedThe company the event affects most directly.

ZYME, Zymeworks Inc. Zymeworks could receive a $250 million payment from Jazz if the FDA approves this indication. This creates a more direct percentage impact than the same decision has on Jazz.

Current priceWhere the shares traded when this write-up was made, and when that was.

$26.57 as of 20 Aug 2026, 20:00 UTC, the regular-session close

Expected stock reactionWhich way we expect the share price to go after the event. Positive means it rises, Negative means it falls, Mixed means it could go either way.

Positive. Approval should strengthen Zymeworks' cash position and validate its royalty-based business model. A narrow label or approval that is fully expected could create a smaller gain or a sell-the-news reaction. Pre-news action Watch. Do not chase before the decision. The stock has already rallied about 24% from July 31, and the approval outcome is binary. My priority trade is a post-approval breakout above $29.75, rather than holding a full position through the decision.

Catalyst confidenceHow sure we are that the event happens as described. Scored out of 100. Higher means more sure.

High. I estimate a 95% chance that a regulatory update occurs by or close to August 25. I estimate an 80% chance of approval. This forecast is supported by Priority Review, Breakthrough Therapy status, the Real-Time Oncology Review process and positive Phase 3 results. The FDA outcome cannot be confirmed in advance.

Stock-reaction confidenceHow sure we are that the stock reacts the way we expect. Scored out of 100. Higher means more sure.

Medium, about 65% confidence that ZYME closes higher after an approval. The $250 million payment is important, but the recent rally shows that investors already expect a favorable result. More Info

When the market will reactThe moment the price is likely to move, such as at the announcement or at the next market open.

The first reaction could occur whenever the decision is announced, including before August 25. If released outside market hours, the main move should occur during the next regular session. Expect the largest price discovery within one to three trading days. Fundamental effect Approval triggers a $250 million milestone payment. That equals about 12.9% of Zymeworks' current market value. Calculation: $250 million divided by $1.939 billion equals 12.9%. The payment also equals 77.5% of the $322.5 million cash and marketable securities held on June 30. Calculation: $250 million divided by $322.5 million equals 77.5%. Approval would also create a larger addressable market and future royalty income.

Market expectations and forecastWhat investors already expect from this event, and the numbers being forecast.

The market expects approval. The supporting Phase 3 study produced statistically significant progression-free survival results. The Ziihera, tislelizumab and chemotherapy group had median overall survival of 26.4 months and a reported 28% reduction in the risk of death versus the trastuzumab control group. My forecast is approval for at least one Ziihera combination. The stronger outcome would be a broad label covering both the chemotherapy combination and the tislelizumab combination without unexpected restrictions. Recent stock setup ZYME rose from $21.94 on July 31 to $27.20 on August 20. Calculation: $27.20 divided by $21.94, minus 1, equals 24.0%. The latest reported volume was about 499,000 shares, below the recent average of roughly 673,000. This means price has risen without clear event-day volume. Commercial partner JAZZ was $248.70 in the latest reading, down 1.36% for the session. Priced-in level Medium to high. The stock is up about 24% since July 31 and is close to its 52-week high of $29.75. Approval is the expected result. However, the $250 million payment, future royalties and reduced financing pressure may not be fully reflected if the label is broad. Expected move An August 12 options snapshot priced a 21.3% move through September 18 from a $24.92 reference price. Calculation: $24.92 multiplied by 21.3% equals $5.31, producing a range of about $19.61 to $30.23. That options snapshot is not current. I cannot confirm the live implied move on August 21. My event forecast is a 7% to 15% gain on clean approval, versus a 25% to 40% decline after a Complete Response Letter or major delay. Surprise required A normal approval may produce only a modest gain. A move above the options range likely requires a broad label, no major safety restrictions, clear launch timing from Jazz and confirmation that the full $250 million milestone becomes payable without delay. Positive scenario The FDA approves both requested combination approaches with a commercially useful label. Zymeworks confirms the $250 million milestone. ZYME clears $29.75 on more than 1.35 million shares. The next forecast range is $32 to $35. Neutral scenario The FDA approves the expected core regimen but gives a narrower label or adds meaningful monitoring requirements. ZYME trades between $25 and $30 as investors sell the news and wait for launch data. Negative scenario The FDA issues a Complete Response Letter, delays action or approves a label too narrow to support expected sales. ZYME could fall below $23.50, with $20 as the next major forecast area. Why the stock is connected Zymeworks developed zanidatamab and licensed major commercialization rights to Jazz. Approval directly releases a $250 million payment to Zymeworks. It also expands the sales base used to calculate future royalties. Simple example: if a shop receives a large one-time payment when its product reaches the market, then keeps earning a percentage of future sales, approval improves both today's cash and tomorrow's income.

Other affected stocksOther companies that could move on the same news, such as suppliers and competitors.

JAZZ is the commercial owner and should benefit from a larger cancer market, but the effect is smaller relative to its $17.3 billion market value. RPRX has exposure to part of Ziihera's future royalty stream. AZN and MRK could face added competition within HER2-positive advanced gastric cancer treatment. Impact strength and duration High immediate impact. The first move should last one to three sessions. The fundamental effect is long-term because approval creates a new commercial indication, a major milestone payment and continuing royalties. Underappreciated factor The milestone could largely offset Zymeworks' planned cash contribution to its Theravance Biopharma acquisition. Zymeworks expects to contribute about $219 million of its cash to that transaction. A $250 million approval payment is $31 million greater than that planned contribution. Calculation: $250 million minus $219 million equals $31 million. This means approval could reduce concerns that the acquisition will drain Zymeworks' balance sheet. The offset is economic, not necessarily simultaneous. Transaction timing, taxes and accounting treatment can differ. Post-news confirmation plan My prioritized trade is to buy only after approval if ZYME holds above $29.75 for two daily closes. Require at least 1.35 million shares on the breakout day, about twice the recent average volume. Use $27.20 as the first risk level after entry. Hold for 10 to 20 trading days if price remains above that level. Avoid chasing an opening gap above $32 unless the first hour forms a stable base with strong volume.

What else lands that dayOther news and events on the same day that could push the price around, and whether they help this trade, bury it, or work against it.

25 August 2026 carries a light macro calendar. The Philadelphia Fed non-manufacturing survey is at 12:30 UTC, and consumer confidence, new residential sales and the Richmond Fed manufacturing survey all land at 14:00 UTC. None of those normally moves a clinical-stage oncology name, and none is a release the whole market trades. The day after is the problem rather than the day itself: 26 August brings the second reading of second quarter GDP, advance durable goods and personal income with the PCE deflator at 12:30 UTC, and NVIDIA reports after the close that evening, which between them own the tape for the rest of the week. Jazz Pharmaceuticals is decided by the same FDA action and will move on the same headline, so treat any read across between the two as one event rather than as confirmation. Net effect: the day is clear enough for this decision to be the only thing the stock is trading on. What to expect on the day. An approval or a rejection should get a clean first reaction, because nothing scheduled is competing for it. The follow-through is the part to be careful with: by Wednesday morning the market is trading inflation and by Wednesday evening it is trading NVIDIA, so a position held for continuation is being held into two things that have nothing to do with Zymeworks.

Main risksWhat could go wrong, and what would prove this call wrong.

Approval may already be priced in. The FDA could approve only one combination or add label restrictions. The $250 million payment could be delayed by contractual conditions. Zymeworks is committing cash to the Theravance acquisition. It has also transferred 30% of certain future Ziihera royalty payments into a royalty-backed financing structure. Broader biotech weakness, unexpected safety language, weak launch guidance or a failure to hold $29.75 would invalidate the bullish trade setup.

For information only · not financial advice.