FDA decision on Ionis zilganersen for Alexander disease is due September 22
- StockThe company this write-up is about, with its ticker symbol.
- IONS, Ionis Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- PriceWhere the shares traded when this write-up was made, and the exact minute that price was struck.
- $59.74, 20:00 21/August/2026
- Event Date And TimeWhen the event is expected. Shown in your own time zone, or in UTC if you switch the clock at the top of the page. If the exact hour is not confirmed, you only see the date.
- 22/September/2026, time not confirmed
- What else lands that dayOther news and events on the same day that could push the price around, and whether they help this trade, bury it, or work against it.
- ClearTwo second-tier regional surveys and nothing else, so the approval will be the only thing moving the stock and the size of the move is real information.
- Expected Stock ReactionWhich way we expect the share price to go after the event. Positive means it rises, Negative means it falls, Mixed means it could go either way.
- Positive
- ActionWhat we suggest you do before the event. Buy, Watch or Avoid.
- Watch
- Catalyst confidenceHow sure we are that the event happens as described. Scored out of 100. Higher means more sure.
- 82/100
- Stock-reaction confidenceHow sure we are that the stock reacts the way we expect. Scored out of 100. Higher means more sure.
- 68/100
Expected price move and durationHow far the share price may move because of this event, and how long that move may last.
- Options-implied moveHow big a move options traders are paying for right now. This is the market's own estimate, not ours.
- ±19.6%
- Historical average moveHow much this stock moved on average after similar events in the past.
- +0.85%
- Our expected moveOur own estimate of the move, after weighing the market's estimate, the past moves and the situation now.
- +3% to +7%
- ImpactHow big we think that move is for this stock. Rated Low, Medium or High.
- Medium
- Estimated durationHow long the move is likely to last, such as intraday, a few trading days, or several weeks.
- 1-3 trading days
- Priced-in levelHow much of this news the share price already reflects. Rated Low, Medium or High. The higher it is, the less room the price has left to move.
- Medium
- Risk levelHow much can go wrong with this idea if the event surprises. Rated Low, Medium or High.
- Medium
- Other affected StocksOther companies that could move on the same news, such as suppliers and competitors.
- BIIB , ALNY
Upcoming catalystThe event that could move the share price.
The FDA decision on zilganersen for Alexander disease is due September 22, 2026. The exact release time is not published. I cannot confirm this.
Main stock affectedThe company the event affects most directly.
Ionis Pharmaceuticals, ticker IONS.
Current priceWhere the shares traded when this write-up was made, and when that was.
$59.74 as of 21 Aug 2026, 20:00 UTC, the regular-session close
Expected stock reactionWhich way we expect the share price to go after the event. Positive means it rises, Negative means it falls, Mixed means it could go either way.
Positive. Approval is likely, but the initial upside may be moderate because investors already expect a favorable decision.
Action before the eventWhat we suggest you do before the event. Buy, Watch or Avoid.
Watch. Do not chase expensive options. Your preferred setup is a small common-stock position near $55 to $57, or an entry after approval if the stock holds above $62 with strong volume. October options price a much larger move than my base case.
Why the stock is affectedThe link between the event and this company.
Zilganersen would be the first approved disease-modifying medicine for Alexander disease and Ionis's first independent neurology launch. Approval would start U.S. product sales, validate Ionis's neurological antisense platform and support future pipeline valuation. Ionis retains U.S. commercial rights. Recordati holds rights outside the U.S., where Ionis can receive milestones and royalties reaching the mid-20% range.
Catalyst confidenceHow sure we are that the event happens as described. Scored out of 100. Higher means more sure.
The likely outcome is FDA approval. Confidence in approval: 82%. The pivotal study met its primary endpoint, with a 33.3% treatment difference in gait-speed stabilization and a p-value of 0.041. The application has Priority Review, Fast Track, Rare Pediatric Disease and Orphan Drug designations. Confidence that the FDA takes action by September 22: 96%. The FDA can still act early or extend the review.
Stock-reaction confidenceHow sure we are that the stock reacts the way we expect. Scored out of 100. Higher means more sure.
Confidence in a positive stock reaction: 68%. The clinical evidence supports approval, but Ionis's last two FDA approvals produced small same-day gains. The limited patient population may restrain the valuation change.
When the market will reactThe moment the price is likely to move, such as at the announcement or at the next market open.
The stock could react immediately if the decision is released during market hours. A premarket or after-hours announcement would move the shares in the next available session. The main reaction window should be the first one to three trading days. Commercial forecasts and the final label could affect the stock for several weeks.
Effect on the businessWhat the event changes for the company itself, such as its sales, costs or profit.
Approval would add an eighth marketed medicine and establish Ionis's first independently sold neurological product. The immediate revenue contribution will probably be limited by the rarity of Alexander disease. The larger value is strategic. Approval would validate Ionis's ability to develop and independently launch neurological medicines. Ionis has already spent money preparing the launch. Approval allows those preparations to start generating revenue. A rejection would leave these costs without near-term product sales.
Market expectations and forecastWhat investors already expect from this event, and the numbers being forecast.
The market appears to expect approval because the pivotal study met its primary endpoint and the FDA granted Priority Review. My forecast is an 82% probability of approval, a 10% probability of a delay or narrow approval and an 8% probability of a Complete Response Letter. Trading interpretation: approval alone may produce a 3% to 7% gain. A clean label covering the expected patient group could push the move toward 9%. A rejection could erase 12% to 20% because it would damage confidence in the neurological pipeline. Recent price action and priced-in level Priced-in level: Medium. IONS rose 15.4% from its July 31 close of $51.77 to $59.74 on August 21. August 21 volume was about 2.71 million shares. This was active but not an extreme catalyst-volume surge. The stock remains about 31% below its 2026 high of $86.74. Most of that gap followed the July 9 failure of the CARDIO-TTRansform trial, when IONS fell 23.9% in one session and another 9.4% the next day. The recent recovery appears partly company-specific. Biogen gained about 5.5% over the latest 30-day period, while RNA-therapy peer Alnylam declined about 13%. This suggests IONS has recovered faster than close platform peers, but it has not recovered from the July clinical setback.
Expected price move and durationHow far the share price may move because of this event, and how long that move may last.
Options-Implied Move Approximate move: ±19.6%. Expiration used: October 16, 2026, the first standard monthly expiration after the FDA date. Calculation using the $60 strike ask prices: $5.80 call plus $5.90 put equals an $11.70 straddle. $11.70 divided by the $59.74 stock price equals 19.6%. This is a rough upper estimate. It uses ask prices, includes more than three weeks of trading after the FDA event and contains normal market volatility. It is not a clean event-only forecast. Historical Event Analysis June 24, 2026, FDA approval of TRYNGOLZA for severe hypertriglyceridemia. IONS gained 0.70% that day. Reaction window: announcement day. August 21, 2025, FDA approval of DAWNZERA for hereditary angioedema. IONS gained 0.99% that day. Reaction window: announcement day. These are the two most recent comparable Ionis FDA approvals. The historical sample is limited. Historical Average Move Average move: +0.85%. Calculation: 0.70% plus 0.99% equals 1.69%. Dividing by two events gives 0.845%, rounded to 0.85%. Our Expected Move My expected move is +3% to +7% following approval. This is above the +0.85% historical average because zilganersen would validate Ionis's neurological franchise after the July pipeline setback. It is far below the ±19.6% options estimate because approval is already expected and Alexander disease is a small commercial market. Impact Strength Medium. The event is strategically important and can rebuild confidence in Ionis's pipeline. It is unlikely to transform near-term revenue by itself. Estimated Duration 1-3 trading days for the main price reaction. Several weeks if the label, pricing and early launch commentary cause analysts to change long-term forecasts. A simple approval move may fade. A clean label followed by credible launch guidance could produce a longer repricing.
Result needed for a big moveWhat the outcome has to be for the stock to move a lot instead of a little.
A gain above 8% likely requires full approval, a broad age range, no unexpected safety restrictions and management guidance showing a fast launch. A large negative move would require a Complete Response Letter, a major delay or a label narrow enough to sharply reduce the treatable population.
Possible outcomesThe main ways the event could turn out, with the expected stock reaction for each one.
Positive scenario Full approval with the expected patient coverage and manageable safety requirements. Expected reaction: +5% to +9%. Neutral scenario Approval with a narrower label, burdensome monitoring or cautious launch guidance. Expected reaction: 0% to +3%. Negative scenario Complete Response Letter, major review delay or unexpected manufacturing issue. Expected reaction: -12% to -20%.
Other affected stocksOther companies that could move on the same news, such as suppliers and competitors.
BIIB, Biogen. A clean approval would offer a mild positive read-through for neurological antisense medicines and Ionis's partnered pipeline. ALNY, Alnylam Pharmaceuticals. Approval would support confidence in commercially viable RNA-targeted medicines, although the direct business effect should be small.
What the market may be missingSomething we think investors have overlooked or read wrong.
The direct sales opportunity is only part of the catalyst. Approval would help repair neurological-platform confidence after the July cardiovascular trial failure. Ionis also shifted non-U.S. commercialization risk to Recordati while retaining U.S. economics. The agreement includes up to $75 million in upfront and milestone payments plus royalties reaching the mid-20% range. The overlooked risk is that approval may create little immediate upside. Ionis's two recent approvals generated same-day gains below 1%, showing that expected approvals can become sell-the-news events.
What else lands that dayOther news and events on the same day that could push the price around, and whether they help this trade, bury it, or work against it.
22 September 2026 carries only two scheduled items, both regional and both second tier: the Philadelphia Fed non-manufacturing survey at 12:30 UTC and the Richmond Fed manufacturing survey at 14:00 UTC. Neither sets index direction and neither has any bearing on a rare neurological disease approval. There is no Federal Reserve event, no inflation print and no jobs data, the September index rebalance took effect the previous day, and quarter-end flows do not begin in earnest until the following week. Net effect: the day is genuinely clear, and a decision on Alexander disease will be the only thing this stock is trading. What to expect on the day. A PDUFA date is a deadline rather than a scheduled minute, so the announcement can come at any hour or slip past the date entirely, and a day with nothing else on it means an empty tape until it does. When it arrives, expect the reaction to be clean and to be about the drug, which is the useful case: the size of the move is then real information about how much of the approval was already priced, rather than something you have to strip a macro move out of first. Judge it on the close.
Main risksWhat could go wrong, and what would prove this call wrong.
Overall risk level: Medium. The pivotal study enrolled only 54 participants. The primary endpoint met statistical significance, but several secondary measures did not reach statistical significance. The FDA could request more information, impose a narrow label or raise manufacturing concerns that were not publicly visible. The wider Ionis pipeline can overwhelm this catalyst. New information about TRYNGOLZA sales, DAWNZERA sales or another late-stage program could move the stock more than zilganersen.
Other factorsAnything else worth knowing that the sections above do not cover.
September monthly options expire on September 18, four days before the FDA deadline. They do not cover the scheduled event. October 16 options cover it but are expensive. The FDA can act before September 22. Waiting until the final week to establish a position does not remove early-announcement risk. The cleaner trade is common stock with controlled position size. Avoid paying a 19.6% ask-side straddle cost for a base-case move of 3% to 7%.
For information only · not financial advice.

